[Halld-offline] Software Meeting Minutes, May 26, 2020

Mark Ito marki at jlab.org
Wed May 27 12:58:42 EDT 2020


Please find the minutes here 
and below.

   -- Mark

    GlueX Software Meeting, May 26, 2020, Minutes

Present: Alex Austregesilo, Edmundo Barriga, Thomas Britton, Mark 
Dalton, Sean Dobbs, Mark Ito (chair), Igal Jaegle, Naomi Jarvis, 
Churamani Paudel, Susan Schadmand, Justin Stevens, Simon Taylor, Nilanga 
Wickramaarachchi, Beni Zihlmann

There is a recording of his meeting <https://bluejeans.com/s/e7rMO/> on 
the BlueJeans site. Use your JLab credentials to authenticate.


 1. New version set, version_4.19.0.xml
    A new container was built so the HDGeant4 version, called out in
    this version set, is not available on Oasis.
 2. New version set: version_4.20.0.xml
    This version removes the "CUTS" card and incorporates a new version
    of MCwrapper, the Melle Mel Release, version 2.4.1. Thomas mentioned
    a couple of features to come soon:
      * Ability to choose HADR=1 or HADR=4 on the MCwrapper-bot page.
      * An implementation of the single particle gun for MCwrapper.
 3. New HOWTO: HOWTO to simulate a single-particle gun
    Beni put together a guide on how to accomplish this often-required
    task. [Added in press: Jon Zarling has extended the HOWTO with
    instructions on using MCwrapper to generate single-particle
    simulation data.]
 4. genBH in HDGeant4
    Richard has incorporated a Beth Heitler generator directly into

      Review of Minutes from the Last Software Meeting

We went over the minutes from April 28 

  * We need to review administrative roles for repositories on the
    GitHub site.
  * The move of the random number generation in the trigger simulation
    to mcsmear should be turned into a halld_recon issue.

      Report from the Last HDGeant4 Meeting

We went over the minutes from the meeting on May 19 
Thomas has added the new VERTEX card from Richard to his list of 
features to be added to MCwrapper.

      More discussion on recon and analysis launch compatibility?

...but only a little more. See the threads on the offline mailing list 
and on Slack 

  * Thomas summarized the issue as an accounting problem. The existing
    solution depends on a complete set of version set files for each of
    the launches and appropriate entries in the version set correlation
    table to record the dependencies of analysis launches on
    reconstruction launches.
  * Alex has started to do just that, comprehensively. Where
    appropriate, he creates version sets for launches as links to
    pre-existing version set files in the halld_versions repository.

      Review of recent issues

We went over a couple of issues.

  * halld_recon Issue #381
    Reconstruction of vertex x-y position. I appears that the new VERTEX
    card can put in a shift in the vertex position as advertised by an
    appropriate entry in the CCDB, but if /reconstruction/ is run with
    the same CCDB variation, the effect is taken out, with the event
    vertices centered at (0,0) in the x-y plane in the REST file.
    Reconstruction of the same simulated data with a /CCDB that puts the
    vertex at (0,0)/ reveals the offset put in by the VERTEX card. This
    is a mystery and folks are working on it.
  * halld_sim Issue #128
    <https://github.com/JeffersonLab/halld_sim/issues/128>: Energy
    deposition in TOF mismatch in data & MC. This comes about because we
    do not calibrate the energy of the TOF in data. Beni is working on a
    scheme to do so.

      Sensing Beam-On to/from Beam-Off Transitions

Beni reminded us of a problem that David Lawrence reported where the 
apparent clock frequency applied to DAQ boards was inconsistent with 
expectations. Beni will discuss the situation with the problem with 
David and report back about whether this group should try to address the 

      Drupal Database Glitches

Naomi reported seeing long response time when entering comments on 
papers on our Drupal site. She has also seen some entries get added 
twice. She advises that if collaborators experience long delays, they 
delay putting in their entries and try again later in the day.

      Requests for JLab Software License Purchases

  * Naomi proposed that JLab upgrade the Slack workspace we are all
    using to a paid plan. Thomas replied that the Lab is thinking of
    rolling out Microsoft Teams to users. Teams is already available to
    JLab staff.
  * Naomi proposed that JLab purchase an Overleaf license. Thomas
    replied that David Lawrence is already pursuing such a purchase and
    that folks who would like to encourage that effort should contact David.

      Data Processing at NERSC

Beni asked about readiness for the next reconstruction launch at NERSC. 
Igal replied that he should be ready when the group has certified that 
we are ready to go on data from the just-ended run.

      Action Item Review

 1. Get CCDB 2.0 going. (Mark)
 2. Moving the random number generator in the trigger factory to mcsmear
    should be an issue in halld_recon
 3. Review administrative roles for repositories on the GitHub site.
 4. Beni will contact David about the DAQ clock problem.

      Automatic Calibration of FCAL Data

Igal asked if there is a general system for automatic calibration of 
detector data. He is interested in automatic calibrations of the FCAL.

  * He reported that the current system for the FCAL is done by hand.
  * Naomi will send Igal the scripts she uses to calibrate the CDC as an
    example of something that could be developed into an automatic system.
  * We encouraged Igal to contact Sean about what he does for the online

Retrieved from 

  * This page was last modified on 27 May 2020, at 12:57.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <https://mailman.jlab.org/pipermail/halld-offline/attachments/20200527/0356db95/attachment.html>

More information about the Halld-offline mailing list