[Halld-trigger] High Intensity review prep meeting minutes

David Lawrence davidl at jlab.org
Thu Apr 20 17:20:38 EDT 2017

Hi All,

  Here are minutes for the High Intensity review preparations meeting this afternoon:

https://halldweb.jlab.org/wiki/index.php/GlueX_Level-3_Trigger_Meeting,_Apr_20,_2017 <https://halldweb.jlab.org/wiki/index.php/GlueX_Level-3_Trigger_Meeting,_Apr_20,_2017>

Minutes[edit <https://halldweb.jlab.org/wiki/index.php?title=GlueX_Level-3_Trigger_Meeting,_Apr_20,_2017&action=edit&section=7>]

Attendees: David L., Sergey F., Alex S., Eugene C.
We discussed the current status of the trigger rate and event size projections in order to catch Eugene up
There was consensus that with the existing readout hardware rate limitations and reduced event size, a L3 farm solution is no longer warranted. We will present a high intensity running solution at the review that does not require L3 farm.
There was some discussion on how to present the FCAL+BCAL+ST trigger.
Without the ST in the trigger and using our Spring 2017 FCAL+BCAL thresholds we would be near (and possibly slightly over) the hardware limits for data readout when running 5 x 107γ/s. This would leave no margin.
With the ST in the trigger the L1 rate is reduced by a factor of about 1.6
Eugene suggested we look at existing data for a channel that may be affected by an ST cut (e.g. γp -> ωp -> πoγp) and see what is thrown away if an ST is required
Items needed for high intensity running that will need to be budgeted:
10Gb switch for Tagger hall + up to 4 10Gb mezzanine cards for the tagger crates
Additional large raid disk
These and other online costs for next 3 years was put into spreadsheet on Mar. 10th and provided to CC
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UxFy82k6vsh4ksqoCJ4mlyRuEAIcJoQBCOjEH3cz2_w/edit#gid=0 <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UxFy82k6vsh4ksqoCJ4mlyRuEAIcJoQBCOjEH3cz2_w/edit#gid=0>
Action Items[edit <https://halldweb.jlab.org/wiki/index.php?title=GlueX_Level-3_Trigger_Meeting,_Apr_20,_2017&action=edit&section=8>]

Compare most recent data volume estimate provided to CC to one using a 2GB/s data rate. Discuss with CC to see if this causes any concern (David)
Look at γp -> ωp -> πoγp channel and see what is discarded when ST hit is required. (Alex, David)
Start outlining talk and gathering slides so we can review at next meeting (David)
Next Meeting[edit <https://halldweb.jlab.org/wiki/index.php?title=GlueX_Level-3_Trigger_Meeting,_Apr_20,_2017&action=edit&section=9>]

We will meet again on Thursday next week at 3pm. Room A110 is reserved.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <https://mailman.jlab.org/pipermail/halld-trigger/attachments/20170420/bbd09268/attachment.html>

More information about the Halld-trigger mailing list