[Cugapost] Postdoctoral Research Associate – Experimental Neutron Physics
lorelei at jlab.org
Tue May 10 10:37:20 EDT 2022
Physical Sciences Directorate Position Description
Position Title: Postdoctoral Research Associate – Experimental Neutron Physics
Line Management: Alexander Saunders / Leah Broussard (PI)
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate who will focus on studies of fundamental physics with neutrons. This position resides in the Neutron Physics Experimental Program in the Physics Division, Physical Sciences Directorate (PSD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL).
As part of our research team, you will develop data acquisition systems, design data-taking and analysis workflows, and perform simulations of systematic effects, as part of the nEDM at SNS experiment. You will have the opportunity to participate in all facets of the experiment, including implementation of detector test setup, data acquisition system development and testing, simulation and data analysis, data interpretation, and presentation and publication of the results. You will also have the opportunity to participate in the broader fundamental research program with neutrons, including the Nab experiment and searches for neutron oscillations.
* Develop data-taking and online analysis routines and new algorithms for CPU and GPU based simulations of the nEDM experiment leveraging ORNL supercomputing resources
* Develop and commission data acquisition (DAQ) firmware and software for the SiPM (silicon photo-multiplier) readout assembly using LabVIEW FPGA
* Perform, analyze, interpret, and publish simulations of the experiment and relevant systematic effects and characterizations of the DAQ system performed at ORNL
* Participate in the broader experimental program of the neutron physics group at ORNL, including experiments related to neutron and nuclear beta decay and exotic channels
* Ensure compliance with environment, safety, health and quality program requirements
* Maintain strong dedication to the implementation and perpetuation of values and ethics
* A PhD in experimental nuclear or high energy physics within the last five years
* Knowledge of C, C++, Python and/or Julia programing languages and Linux operating systems
* Experience with data acquisition systems and simulations and data analysis techniques
* Experience, including use of relevant software and hardware tools, in at least some of:
* Principles of particle detection especially silicon photomultipliers and scintillators, analog and digital signal processing, detector and data acquisition characterization techniques and interpretation of the results
* Data analysis and simulation packages such as ROOT and Geant4, and FPGA programming software such as LabVIEW FPGA
* Implementing algorithms using high-performance parallel codes and/or accelerators (GPU)
* Experience with standard nuclear physics laboratory instruments and equipment, especially data acquisition systems, detector electronics, and motion control systems
* High precision nuclear and particle physics experiments especially electric dipole moment searches, and cold and/or ultracold neutron experiments
* Excellent written and oral communication skills
* Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative teams across the laboratory and at other universities
* Ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to ever changing needs
This position requires travel to laboratories to perform experiments in the US and other countries.
Applicants cannot have received their Ph.D. more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment. The appointment length will be up to 24 months with the potential for extension. Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and availability of funding.
Please provide a list of publications when applying for this position. Three letters of reference are required and can be uploaded to your profile or emailed directly to PSDrecruit at ornl.gov. Please include the title of the position in the subject line.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Cugapost