[Halld-offline] HDGeant4 Meeting Minutes, April 23, 2019
marki at jlab.org
Wed Apr 24 09:31:34 EDT 2019
Please find the minutes below and at
Minutes of the April 23, 2019 HDGeant4 Meeting
* *CMU: * Naomi Jarvis
* *JLab: * Alex Austregesilo, Thomas Britton, Mark Dalton, Sean Dobbs,
Stuart Fegan, Mark Ito (chair), Justin Stevens, Simon Taylor, Beni
* *ODU: * Shankar Adhikari
* *UConn: * Richard Jones
Review of minutes from the last meeting
We went over the minutes from the April 9th meeting
* The issues that stand out from Peter's presentation were the
response of the calorimeters to charged hadrons and the difference
in efficiency when events are simulated with HDGeant vs. HDGeant4.
* We still need to answer Carlos Salgado on Issue #101
between G3 and G4 in eta.pi."
Do-over on comparison studies
Simon showed a few slides
<https://halldweb.jlab.org/wiki/images/2/28/G3g4comp.pdf>, culled from
the hundreds of monitoring plots he produced, comparing
charged-particle-specific properties of HDGeant vs. HDGeant4. He
simulated single 2.0 GeV/c pions generated uniformly in polar angle.
Even in the sample of histograms he showed, which were chosen because of
differences seen, the differences are "subtle." Beyond basic
understanding of the meaning of the plots on slide three, we did not
come up with a mission for further exploration for Simon.
Issues on GitHub
We reviewed all of the open issues for HDGeant4
* Reading in # events and source #105 opened 5 days ago by nsjarvis
o We endorsed Richard's proposal for avoiding confusion in
specifying the number of events to be generated and connecting
with expectations we have from our experience with HDGeant.
* Run number read in from two places is confusing #104 opened 5 days
ago by nsjarvis
o Richard explained the hierarchy for specifying run number. It
only remains to move the explanation to a more easily found
document, perhaps the wiki on GitHub.
* Skip (in control.in) is ignored #103 opened 5 days ago by nsjarvis
o This needs to be implemented in HDGeant4 to reproduce the
analogous feature of HDGeant.
* Terminal cleanup? #102 opened 6 days ago by mashephe
o We endorsed Richard's proposal to introduce a debug level to
control verbosity on standard output.
* Differences between G3 and G4 in eta.pi #101 opened 20 days ago by
o Thomas pointed out that the problem Carlos saw was due to the
lack of the SKIP feature (see Issue #103 above).
* Calorimeter timing mismatch between g3 and g4 #93 opened on Feb 28
o Still needs investigation.
* Hit Energy Agreement #89 opened on Feb 26 by ReBarsotti
o Sean will talk to Rebecca about closing the loop on this issue.
Pull Requests on GitHub
We looked at the most recent pull requests
<https://github.com/JeffersonLab/HDGeant4/pulls>, but they were kind of
old. Nothing new there.
Future of the HDGeant4 Meetings
Mark made a proposal, prompted by a conversation he had had with Sean
earlier in the day, that we stop having regular HDGeant4 meetings and
fold the topics discussed here into Software Meeting agendas. Other
ideas were voiced:
* Wait until we have an HDGeant4 Meeting that only lasts 20 minutes
* Expand the scope of the meeting to include general simulation
topics, a "Simulation Meeting."
We agreed to think about this some more.
* This page was last modified on 24 April 2019, at 09:27.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Halld-offline