[Halld-offline] HDGeant4 Meeting Minutes, March 9, 2022
marki at jlab.org
Wed Mar 9 19:16:23 EST 2022
Please find the minutes here
Minutes, HDGeant4 Meeting, March 9, 2022
Present: Alex Austregesilo, Sean Dobbs, Mark Ito (chair), Igal Jaegle,
Richard Jones, Simon Taylor, Beni Zihlmann
There is a recording of this meeting
(Passcode: cx8=wBQA) on the ZoomGov site.
Mark mentioned that Geant4 version 11 has been released. From the
* Richard suggested that we think about upgrading the version of
Geant4 we use from 10.04 to 10.07. Version 11 might still be a
bridge too far.
* He reminded us that this would require an upgrade of GCC beyond that
shipped with CentOS 7, i.e., GCC 4.8.5. He has been using Developer
Toolset 4 to get around this, which gives access to GCC 5.3.1.
* He also reminded us that to use Geant4 10.07, we would also need to
build HDGeant4 with an advanced version of GCC and that in turn
requires a build of halld_recon with the same version of GCC. Indeed
we would need to build everything in our software stack with a
consistent GCC version.
* This can be done under CentOS 7 (see above for an example), but not
without installing software in addition to the RPMs that ship with
the official CentOS 7 distribution, like a Devtoolset, or a custom
build of GCC, or a non-official RPM.
* Mark reminded us that our current CentOS 7 container already has
Devtoolset 8 on board. This provides GCC 8.3.1.
* Another way to get advanced versions of GCC would be to go to a
CentOS-8-like distribution. CMU is already running CentOS 8 Stream.
* Mark recently succeeded in creating a CentOS 8 Stream Singularity
container and used it to build the current default version set
(5.4.1). To do this he started from a Docker container from an
individual since the official CentOS account on DockerHub does not
provide any Stream container at all.
* On a related issue, Mark, with help from Richard, was able to put a
new version of our CentOS 7 container out on CVMFS. It is
This is a demo of a new-to-Mark way of updating our container on
CVMFS since Docker took away our old method for free accounts. Also
note that it is in the "jeffersonlab" directory and not the
* No decision on a path forward yet.
Review of minutes from the last meeting
We went over the minutes from the meeting on January 26th
Pull Request #202 <https://github.com/JeffersonLab/HDGeant4/pull/202>,
"Fix for TAGH hits for the SRC/CT experiment." was approved and merged.
Issues on GitHub
* Issue #204 <https://github.com/JeffersonLab/HDGeant4/issues/204>,
"crash with version set 5.3.0" was addressed by Pull Request #208
<https://github.com/JeffersonLab/HDGeant4/pull/208>. We are waiting
for Naomi Jarvis to confirm the fix and close the issue.
* Mark reported that a new version set with changes from Simon for the
CPP experiment is in preparation.
Future of the HDGeant4 Meeting
We decided to transition this meeting from a regular bi-weekly meeting
to one which is called on-demand as issues arise. During the discussion
we noted that HDGeant4 is now a mature product and in general use around
the Collaboration. Regular discussion of HDGeant4-related issues will be
folded into the Software Meeting.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Halld-offline